Tuesday, May 13, 2008

PROMPTuesday #4 - My First Love

San Diego Momma's PROMPTuesday #4:

Write about your first love. Work the phrase, “Beauty in the shadows,” into the piece. This one can go to 250 words.

Sweet 16 and never been kissed, but I was determined.

The first time I saw the tall, wavy-haired, dark-eyed boy at that church in Carlsbad. I remember thinking to myself, “He’s the one! He is going to be my first boyfriend.” Until then, I felt like I had been hiding my beauty in the shadows, unwilling to risk revealing myself in sunlight for fear I should be found wanting, undesirable, ugly.

The preacher’s daughter had known Tall Dark and his brother most of her life. She introduced us. Now, six months later I had just turned 16, and the boy asks me after youth group if he can talk to me alone for a minute. I follow him into one of the small Sunday school classrooms off of the main fellowship hall and shyly, timidly, he gives me a gift, not knowing how I will react. Not knowing whether I would “get it”, and understand the significance of the gesture. I did, and it must have shown in my face enough to bolster his courage. He asked me to “go with him”, and I of course, said yes. It was then that he kissed me. My first kiss!

Apparently his first kiss too.

I distinctly remember our teeth colliding. Even in my inexperience, somehow I knew that wasn’t supposed to happen. Regardless, I was thrilled! I was validated! I was all over goose bumps to be viewed in the light, and welcomed, and loved. I felt like I had grabbed the brass ring and now I didn’t have to get off the Merry-go-round. MY ride was just starting. . .

No comments: