Wednesday, July 9, 2008

PROMPTuesday #12 - The Guest Hostess (ME!)

San Diego Momma's PROMPTuesday #12:

San Diego Momma asked me to guest host PROMPTuesday this week, and I was INCREDIBLY honored. I wanted to do something fresh and innocent so here's what I opted to recommend:
The ancient Greek storyteller, Aesop is known for morality fables featuring anthropomorphic animals, insects, plants, and even statuary. This PROMPTuesday, I’d like to see everyone knock out a little fable of their own. Take a principle you live by, put it in a story and create your own axiom for the ages. The final sentence of your story should state the moral.

I grew up on Aesop (among myriad others) and have loved his stories as long as I remember. I thoroughly enjoyed playing with the form.


THE WARTHOG AND THE SHOPKEEPERS

There once was a warthog with enormous tusks. His tusks were strong and they rose high into the air. They made the warthog look terribly fierce and intimidating. After many years of tearing through the forest frightening all the other animals, the warthog grew lonely. It was time for a change. “I think I should like to work in a shop,” the warthog decided. That way, I shall meet lots of people and never be lonely.” So the warthog set off for town that very day.

When the he got to town, he saw a dress shop across the town square. “That is a very pretty shop,” thought the warthog, “perhaps I shall work there.” But when the customers saw him come in the door, they all screamed and ran away. “No, no, no!” Cried the dressmaker. “You are much too fierce and intimidating to work in my shop”. The warthog hung his head and left.

Next he saw a tiny shoe shop. “May I work in your shop?” The warthog asked. “No, no, no!” said the cobbler. “Your tusks are much too large for my tiny shop. They will get in the way.” The warthog hung his head and left.

Feeling very sad now, the warthog decided to try the bakery. “May I work in your shop?” asked the warthog. “My, my, my!” cried the baker. “What lovely tusks you have! Those tusks would be perfect for delivering my doughnuts. Yes, yes, yes, you may work in my shop!”

And so the warthog lived a long and happy life delivering doughnuts all over town. He made many friends along the way and never felt lonely again.

MORAL: We each of us are perfect when put to perfect purpose.




No comments: