Friday, November 7, 2008

A Season Ends: Another Begins

Election night 2008: I was scared and exhilarated and glued to the television set. . . and sick.

No, I mean actually, literally sick.  Sore throat, sinus pressure, runny nose.

I wanted to have boatloads of high-end champagne at the ready, because my instincts told me there would be something to celebrate by the end of the night. But I was sick.  I wanted to be at a party somewhere, or at one of my favorite neighborhood haunts with a contingent of like-minded friends to share the tension and mark the momentousness of the night.  But I was sick.  At the very least, I wanted to be watching the results in a clean and tidy room, free of that nagging pile of laundry to be folded.  But I was sick and feeling pretty feeble.    So, when CNN called it, instead of banging pots and pans on the front porch or hitting the streets to celebrate, I shed a few sniffly tears of relief and gratitude and Husband and I toasted our new President-elect, with a couple of these.  

Hot Buttered Rum
  • 1 – 2 oz. Puerto Rican Dark Rum (depending on mug size)
  • 1 – 2 T Honey
  • 4 whole cloves
  • Boiling water
  • 1 pat (about half an ounce) of unsalted butter

Pour rum into your favorite mug, the one that fits your hands most comfortably and gives you that cozy feeling whenever you use it. Drop in cloves. Fill mug with boiling water as you would for tea. Stir in honey. Check for taste. When you are satisfied the proportions are right. Float the pat of butter on top and watch it melt across the surface of the rum. Sip and enjoy!



No comments: