Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday Happy Hour - Hurricane Chuck

Hurricanes.

The season has officially started and we've been hearing a lot about them. Some of us have unfortunately been experiencing them. Hello Louisiana, Galveston, Cuba, Haiti - my heart goes out to the victims in the paths of Gustav and Hanna and Ike. Being on the West Coast of the US and therefore completely jaded about earthquakes, hurricanes tend to scare the bejeezus out of me. I'm sure the opposite would be true were I a native of the Gulf Coast.

Now, I thought I hated Hurricane cocktails, too. But this recipe? This is truly tasty. I can't claim credit for this one, I'm afraid. This fantabulous recipe comes from Mr. Chuck Taggart, a California-transplanted New Orleanean who keeps the faith on his Gumbo Pages. So, since I have set aside Fridays for recommending cocktail recipes, allow me to present for your imbibing pleasure, the best dang Hurricane recipe ever.

Chuck Taggart's N'Awlins Hurricane Cocktail

  • 1.5 ounces light rum*
  • 1.5 ounces dark rum
  • 1 ounce orange juice
  • 1 ounce fresh lime juice (NOT Rose's or RealLime)
  • 1/4 cup passion fruit juice, or 1 tablespoon passion fruit syrup
  • 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
  • 1 teaspoon grenadine
  • Cherries with stems*, and orange slice to garnish
  • Ice cubes

In a cocktail shaker, mix the rum, passion fruit juice or syrup, the other juices and the sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add the grenadine, and stir to combine, then add ice and shake. Half-fill a hurricane glass with ice, then strain drink into glass; add ice to fill. Garnish with orange slice and cherries.

Chuck? You're welcome to come sip Hurricanes on my front porch anytime.

* Maven modifications: My personal preference is to use all dark rum and eliminate the cherry garnish. Maraschinos just give me the heebie-jeebies. -- Cocktail Maven

1 comment:

San Diego Momma/Two Funny Brains said...

I'm the same with maraschinos. I read that they're indigestible. So basically, they sit in your colon for like, forever.