Tuesday, September 2, 2008

PROMPTuesday #20 - Memory Description

San Diego Momma's PROMPTuesday #20:

What are your back-to-school memories? Tell us about one. Your memory can be your own, or one from watching your child go to school, or a story inspired by a memory, or anything back-to-school-y. Either way, make us smell the must of the chalk or the acridity of teen spirit.
I remember my very first day of school. I had been judged one week too young to have been able to start the year before, so I had quite literally been anticipating my first day of kindergarten for over a year. Everything was so new and exciting. I remember marveling at the teeny hard plastic chairs and low, wide desks. Everything was brightly colored and just the right size, like Baby Bear’s chair in the Goldilocks story. I remember being shocked and disappointed, even at five years old, by how many of the other kids had not learned to read already. I still remember the names and faces of a good dozen kids from my Kindergarten class. I remember fighting against my instincts and prissily telling myself that, yes, it is okay to paint with your fingers, as long as I don’t get paint on my outfit. And, yes, there you have it. Of all my kindergarten memories, what I remember most are my outfits.

My mother has always been a very frugal and resourceful woman. In an effort to save (and eventually make) money, she became quite an accomplished refinisher of battered desks and dressers, re-upholsterer of worn out chairs, and sewer of lothing for both herself and for me. In fact, there is a two-page fashion spread in the family photo album that chronicles my first week of school in outfits. Five days, five hairdo’s, five outfits. . . one pattern. It’s pretty impressive, actually. The pattern was a skirt set. You could either make it as a skirt and vest combo, a skirt with attached suspenders, or a skirt with an overall-style bib front. My mother did all three in an array of fabrics (mostly man-made), but my favorite was the bib-front in a dark purple corduroy, velvety to the touch, with multi-colored flowers in the pattern. I'd sit primly in one of the hard chairs and periodically glance down to smooth my skirt over my lap, just to feel the luxurious fabric under my hands. I happened to love going to school, but even if I hadn’t? I would have begged to go solely for the purpose of showing off my outfits.

2 comments:

Joanie said...

So good! I would have loved your purple corduroy skirt. I can just about feel it now.

Like you, I was reading by the time I was in Kindergarten because my mom and sister loved to read to me and I wanted to be just like them. The downside? In school, we had to learn to read using a special phonics system with special symbols and all. That messed me up for a couple weeks. Then when we moved to California, I had to start all over again the regular way. I still knew most of the regular spellings and such for tests, but when I couldn't grasp it for one word (guest) on a test, I literally burst into tears because I didn't get 100%. I tried to convince the teacher I was right even though I was kind of wrong, but she didn't buy it. (Mrs. Finley and her co-teacher was Mrs. Fritz)

Oh, what memories.

Da Goddess

Temple Stark said...

definitely a girl thing -- ooh, cooties. i remember courdaroys (sp?) and a coat - and my english schoolboy uniforms later.

and that's it. ..