Tuesday, August 12, 2008

PROMPTuesday #17 - Get Specific

San Diego Momma's PROMPTuesday #17:

So, for this exercise, get specific with your writing. As written in the Observation Deck, Never just say ‘red dress,” say ‘ultra revealing micro mini with fringe.” Today, write a paragraph or a poem about anything, perhaps your first car, and describe it to the smallest detail. Or, start a sentence to flesh out an adjective, like, “He was so lazy that….”


Once, twice up in the air, then solidly in my palm as I push the screen door aside and step out. The chair shifts slightly when I lower myself into it, sighing. No deadlines here. No keyboards or computer screens. My thumb slides over the universally orange and pockmarked surface nestled in my hand, keeping time with the rhythmic "creak-creak" of the abused and exhausted floorboards beneath me. Across the street, a squirrel jogs in short bursts along a telephone wire, tail so high and bushy, he looks electrified. His is the only visible movement tonight, save mine. I smile and plunge a too white, manicured nail-tip into taut skin and begin the slow striptease of summer fruit.

Author's Note: This one also yielded a poem version with which I am rather pleased. Thanks again, San Diego Momma! -- Cocktail Maven

2 comments:

Joanie said...

I like it!

Da Goddess

San Diego Momma said...

Post the poem too!

I loved that last line. As always, you rock the PROMPT.