Monday, August 18, 2008

PROMPTuesday #18 - Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word

San Diego Momma's PROMPTuesday #18:

William Carlos Williams’s poem “This is just to say...” is basically about people who know they are supposed to say I’m sorry and apologize — but skirt the apology itself. Here’s the poem:

This Is Just to Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

So the PROMPT for today is to wrote your own version of the poem.

William Carlos Williams happens to be one of my very favorite poets. Knowing myself unworthy to emulate him, I decided to use this exercise as a chance to come clean on something. I dedicate this effort to my darling husband.

This is just to say

I have used
your razor
that was
in the shower

for which
you had
bought
a new blade

forgive me
it was so sharp
and I
so hairy

3 comments:

Jen said...

Hilariously perfect!

robyn L. said...

This is great! So real! (Not that I'm saying that you're hairy...) :)

San Diego Momma/Two Funny Brains said...

I must borrow this poem and tape it to our bathroom mirror.

I, like you, am hairy :) and steal razor blades.