Thursday, August 21, 2008

This Weekend in San Diego

Lots of cool stuff going on this weekend. I wish I could split myself into two for some of these. In order to enjoy any of the activities below, you will find it helpful to be living or working in San Diego (as am I) and to have slightly retro sensibilities (as do I). If you are and if you do, you may run into me at any of the following:


TONIGHT! August 21, Thursday

Screen on the Green - Bye, Bye, Birdie FREE!
Oh, how I love this movie. One of Ann-Margaret's very first roles and the is at her dancey, perky best. The San Diego Museum of Art projects films on the East Lawn under the stars. Bring a blanket and a wrap and a picnic for maximum joy.

Cinema Under the Stars - To Kill a Mockingbird
Feel like a classic flick in the open air but musicals not your thing? Check out this amazing film version of one of the best books ever written. You can also catch this on Friday night.

Steve Tyrell at Anthology
This jazz vocalist in the classic style has recently lent his smooth yet gravelly tones to a Burt Bacharach tribute. I think Steve's is the voice that Burt Bacharach would choose to have been born with himself. If you like this kind of thing, its a perfect pairing at a perfect venue. Two performances Friday as well.


Friday, 8/22

Cinema Under the Stars - To Kill a Mockingbird
See above

Steve Tyrell at Anthology
Two performances.

Sondre Lerche at House of Blues
Just TRY listening to this guy without smiling. You can't do it, can you? So cute you'll want to squish him like a bug.


Saturday, 8/23

North Park Historical Society Walking Tour

A walking tour of the bungalow neighborhoods of North Park, specifically what is called the "Dryden District" after early 20th century architect David Owen Dryden.

Cinema Under the Stars - A Hard Day's Night
I don't know about you, But I am prone to occasional bouts of Beatlemania on the weekends. I recommend this to relieve symptoms and to counteract the drearifying effects of your oh-so-serious day job. Also screens Sunday.


Sunday, 8/24

Cinema Under the Stars - A Hard Day's Night
See above.

House of Blues Gospel Brunch
Each and every Sunday, just like Jesus likes it.


ONGOING

Device Gallery - "Fantastic Contraption"
Edgy new gallery in Ja Lolla. Definitely worth checking out. Current Exhibit ends September 2, 2008.

Spring Awakening at the Balboa Theatre
The Tony Award-winning musical runs only through the 31st. Why should you go see it? Ten reasons - eight of which are Tony Awards. The other two? The venue is the historic and beautifully restored Balboa Theatre and they let you sit on stage, if you like. No, really. How cool is that?

Thursday Night Thing at the San Diego Museum of Contemporary Art
First Thursday of every month.


COMING SOON:

Fritz Blitz 2008 - "Best of the Blitz"

1 comment:

Joanie said...

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait...you're in San Diego? How did I not know this?

First, I'd have gone to see Steve Tyrell with you. He's so close to my perfect guy. Oh, I probably could have got us in free, too.

Damn.

Now that I know, we definitely need to go drinking.